2018 Municipal Election
Trustees are elected during municipal elections every four years and are directly accountable to the community.
The current trustees were elected to serve from Dec. 1, 2014, to Nov. 30, 2018. The next election is October 22, 2018. The new Board of Trustees will serve from Dec. 1, 2018 to Nov. 30, 2022.
Visit our Trustees page for more information and to see the role of trustees.
How to run for trustee
Trustee jurisdictions may cross municipal boundaries. Individuals interested in running for trustee should submit their nomination to the lead municipal office, which is the municipality with the higher population of electors.
Nomination forms may be submitted as of May 1, 2018.
Trustee Distribution Areas were approved by the Board of Trustees on March 28, 2018.
2018 trustee distribution map – Simcoe County
2018 trustee distribution map – City of Barrie
Timelines and process
- Nominations may be submitted from May 1 to July 27, 2018
- School boards must determine the allocation of areas by March 31, 2018. Trustee jurisdictions may cross municipal boundaries.
- Election Day is October 22, 2018
Who cannot be a school trustee?
The following people are disqualified from being elected as a school trustee:
- any person who is not eligible to vote in the municipality
- an employee of a school board who has not taken an unpaid leave of absence and resigned
- municipal officials
- a judge of any court
- an MP, an MPP or a Senator
- an inmate serving a sentence in a penal or correctional institution