Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content

Frequently Asked Questions


We've compiled the list below based on questions that people often ask us. If you have a question that you don't see on this list please email to submit it. Use the filter below to see just one category of questions, like Transportation, Assessments or Careers. 


    1 2 3 4  Next »
  • How do I register my child for school?

    All registration information is found in our Registration section. 

    For information on registering your child for Kindergarten, please see the question below under 'Programming', or visit our Kindergarten page.​

    During the school year, elementary school registration is completed in your home school. For more information visit our Elementary Registration page. 

    All registrations for secondary school students will be completed at the secondary school your child will be attending in September. For more information visit our Secondary Registration page.

  • What school will my child attend?

    Your child’s home school is based on your residential address. To find out which school your child will attend based on your address, click here. For county-wide and area maps, please visit our Schools page. You can also find individual attendance area maps for each school by using the School Search tool.​

  • Where can I find the attendance area for my school?

    For attendance area maps, please use our School Search tool. Attendance area maps are located within the individual school information.

    The County of Simcoe website also features an interactive map showing all school attendance boundaries. ​In the left menu click the + sign to expand the Education and Community option, then select 'Public Elementary School Attendance Boundary' or 'Public Secondary School Attendance Boundary'. Please note: these maps may not be completely up-to-date. Contact our Planning and Enrolment department at 705-734-6363 ext. 11291, or 905-729-3600 ext. 11291 for any questions.

  • Can I make a request for my child to attend a school outside of our attendance area?

    For information on how to make an out-of-attendance area request, please visit our Schools page and scroll down to the bottom.​

  • What school supplies do I need to provide for the new school year?

    There is no standard list of school supplies, as each class is different. Please contact your school directly for the list of supplies you'll need to provide. School contact information can be found in our Schools section.

    Please note: school staff will be in the office the last week of August.

  • Where can I find the School Year Calendars?

    School Year Calendars can be found on our School Calendars page. The calendars show the first and last day of school, holidays, March break, secondary evaluation days and professional activity (PA) days. There are also separate calendars that show the 5-day cycle of instruction for elementary schools.​

  • I have a complaint/concern/issue relating to my child’s school. Whom should I contact?

    At the SCDSB, we believe that open communication strengthens important relationships between families, schools and communities. Our brochure “Communicating Concerns and Appreciation” outlines our process to help address and resolve your concerns as quickly and effectively as possible.​

  • I would like to consider home schooling my child. What information is available?

    ​The Ministry of Education’s Policy/Program Memorandum 131 provides parents with direction in regards to home schooling.

    Parents who decide to provide home schooling for their child(ren) should notify the school board of their intent in writing. Parents should provide the name, gender, and date of birth of each child who is receiving home schooling, and the telephone number and address of the home. For more information, call 705-734-6363 ext. 11370.

  • How do I change my direction of school support to the English Public School system?

    ​Tax support affects the governance of our board, including the number and distribution of school board trustees.

    Parents or ratepayers can specifically request a change in the direction of their school support by downloading and completing the Application for Direction of School Support form.

    Applications can then be sent to the Municipal Property Assessment Corporation (MPAC).

    MPAC will update their records and the change will become effective, the following year on your Notice of Property Assessment.

    For more information, visit MPAC's website:

  • Where can I find information on Full Day Kindergarten?

    All of our schools offer Full Day Kindergarten. Please visit our Kindergarten page for information on the program, how to register, and frequently asked questions.

1 2 3 4  Next »