SCDSB Update 1 – August 30, 2017August 31, 2017
Board UpdatesBack to News Page
This update provides highlights of the Simcoe County District School Board (SCDSB) Board Meeting held Wednesday, August 30, 2017. Agendas and/or reports considered at this meeting are available at www.scdsb.on.ca.
The Student Trustees for the 2017-18 school year are:
North & East Region – Gillian Hunnisett, Orillia Secondary School
South & West Region – Gabi Millsap, Stayner Collegiate Institute
Central & South Region – Ramneet Kaloti, Innisdale Secondary School
Report from the Closed Session of the Board in Committee of the Whole
The Board ratified the following recommendations taken in the Closed Session meeting of the Committee of the Whole on Wednesday, August 30, 2017:
- That the Board approve the school administrator appointments as set out in Report No. CL-B-2-a School Administrator Appointments, dated August 30, 2017.
Secondary Vice-principal Appointment effective Aug. 31, 2017
Edward Baker from external to Collingwood C.I.
Secondary Principal Appointments effective Aug. 31, 2017
Anna Massimiliano from Adult & Continuing Education (VP) to Adult & Continuing Education (Acting)
Mark Ruzylo from Collingwood C.I. (VP) to Student Success (Acting)
- That the Board approve the renewal of the agreement for the 2017-2018 year for the 7th Fire Alternative Program, as set out in Report No. CL-B-2-b, 7th Fire Alternative Program – Georgian Bay Native Friendship Centre Lease Renewal 2017-2018, dated August 30, 2017.
D-5-a Capital Priorities Update
SCDSB approves updated capital priorities list
The SCDSB approved the updated capital priorities list. The list required updates due to an increase in the number of priorities to be considered by the Ministry of Education (from eight to ten). In June 2017, the Ministry of Education announced funding for an addition at Clearview Meadows ES in Stayner, allowing for it to be removed from the list. The updated list is as follows:
- New Bradford elementary school (Growth Accommodation)
- Banting Memorial High School (Replacement School)
- New Oro-Medonte elementary school (Growth Accommodation)
- Minesing Central Public School (Growth Accommodation)
- New Alcona elementary school (Growth Accommodation)
- New Wasaga Beach elementary school (Growth Accommodation)
- New Bradford elementary school #2 south (Growth Accommodation)
- New Angus elementary school (Growth Accommodation)
- New Barrie southeast elementary school (Growth Accommodation)
- Bradford secondary (Growth Accommodation)
That the Board approve the Capital Priority list, as set out in Report No. D-5-a, Capital Priorities Update, dated August 30, 2017.
D-5-b SEAC Member Appointments
The Board approved the following motion:
- That the Board appoint to the SCDSB SEAC, effective September 1, 2017, Lisa Hickling-Miller as member and Jill Foley as alternate member for New Path Youth and Family Services, as set out in Report No D-5-b, Special Education Advisory Committee Member Appointments, dated August 30, 2017.
D-5-c Schedule of January 2018 Board Meeting
The Board approved the following motion:
- That the Board approve the rescheduling of the January Board meeting from January 24, 2018 to January 31, 2018, as set out in Report No. D-5-c, Schedule of January 2018 Board Meeting, dated August 30, 2017.
Other Reports Received as Information
D-6-a Parent Involvement Committee (PIC) – May 16, 2017
D-6-b First Nations Education Advisory Committee (FNEAC) – June 13, 2017
D-7-a SCDSB Multi-Year Strategic Plan Update
The update included a review of the Strategic Priorities that were approved by the Board in May 2017 as well as a 2017-18 Operational Plan. The Operational Plan outlines goals, actions and expected outcomes as we work to support our Strategic Priorities, and will be updated throughout the school year.
Questions and Proposal from Trustees
Vice-chair Lloyd noted that she had reached out to the Simcoe County Student Transportation Consortium (SCSTC) in regards to the school bus driver shortages expected in other areas of the province. The SCSTC indicated that school bus driver shortages are not expected in Simcoe County.
Staff responded to trustee questions regarding policies on outdoor education and high risk activities on field trips.
Director Blake acknowledged the hard work that took place throughout the board during the summer months. Superintendent Jeffs described some of this work, including the over 100 construction and renewal projects taking place across the SCDSB, and provided a brief update on capital construction projects.
Visit www.scdsb.on.ca for information about future Board and Committee meetings, or to view video archives of Board meetings.
Melanie Slade Morrison, Manager of Communications
705-734-6363 x11328 or email@example.com